Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Moab, Utah -- Colorado River Rafting

I was apprehensive when Kevin suggested we try river rafting while we’re here in Moab.  Prior to today, my only experience rafting has been floating down the Salt River in an inner tube with a beer in hand.  But Kevin eventually wants to do a multi-day trip down the Grand Canyon, so we figured I might as well get my feet wet now.  And what better place than Moab?  It’s known for great rafting trips in the canyons along the mighty Colorado River.

108_1031

I was leery of booking an all-day trip – what if it was too scary?  What if I fell out and was swept away by the current?  But I needn’t have worried.  Kevin found a tour that listed the minimum age as five.  If a five-year-old can do it and live to tell the tale, then I guess so could I.

108_1017

Kevin chose Moab Adventure Center’s all-day trip.  From the start, our river guide Melaina reassured us that all the rapids we’d be going through were only Class I, due to the low water level on the Colorado.  (When the river is high, some of the rapids we went through today would be Class III).  So the rapids were fun, but nothing scary at all (note the happy smile on my face).

108_1032

Our guide was great, pointing out all the interesting natural features and formations as we leisurely floated our way through wide and narrow canyon country.  Every once in a while, we’d approach a rapid and she’d yell “Paddle!” so we got in a decent upper body workout, too.  In our group, there actually was a five-year-old child so I definitely felt at ease.  (Although he did fall into the water at one point – not during a rapid, so he was fine.  Just a little shaken.) 

108_rafting 1887

For lunch we docked at a restaurant along the river and had a delicious buffet with grilled burgers and hot dogs.  (Moab Adventure Center is the only raft tour that does this, all the others just get PB&J sandwiches on the beach.)

108_1028

One of the other rafters in our group had taken several days to raft the Grand Canyon a few years ago.  As she described the trip it sounded more and more like something that would be thrilling but worth it.  After today, I feel like that will be one to add to our “future travel” list.

108_1059

7 comments:

  1. aaahhh that good ol bday trip down the salt river :-) This looks WAY better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least on this trip no one lost anything (well that family almost lost one of their children, but it turned out okay). But our one Salt River trip takes the cake for injuries, items lost, and general mishaps. Fun times!

      Delete
  2. Steve and I did a week long trip in the wilderness area of Idaho, north fork of the Salmon River. It was a BLAST! The Colorado River trip sounds like it would be fun, too. We may also look in to it. Maybe we'll see you there! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Salmon River trip sounds fun - wish we had time to see more of Idaho on this trip. If you guys want to coordinate on the Colorado River trip, we'd be up for it -- the more the merrier! Haven't picked a timeframe yet, for us it's still a blip on the horizon. (So many adventures to be had, so little time).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great! Me and my family go river rafting moab utah all the time and it is seriously one of my favorite activities ever! There are so many fun things to do in Moab! It is definitely one of my favorite place to vacation to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you had such a great trip! I would love to go river rafting, and I'm try to get my husband to take me next summer. I think that it would so much fun and be a great experience. Thanks for sharing you adventure! http://worldwideriver.com/rivertrips/fishertowers.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year we also rafted through the Grand Canyon and it was a wonderful experience. Would definitely recommend it!

      Delete