Saturday, August 13, 2016

Swedish Cuisine

When I think of Swedish food my first thought is usually of IKEA meatballs -- yum!  Or herring (not-so-yum)!  But a typical culinary treat here is "fika" -- a coffee break where you eat something a little sweet to go with it.  They love their coffee here in Sweden.


As for pastries -- Denmark had its cinammon "snails", while Sweden has it's cardamom buns (kardemummabullar).  I opted for the mini key lime tart.


We also discovered that for the most part, Swedish pancakes are relegated to the kids' menu.  However we did find a nice buffet that serves them every Thursday, along with a pea soup entree.  Apparently that's the traditional combo -- pea soup & pancakes.


And of course, we have had several helpings of tasty Swedish meatballs that put IKEA's version to shame.  Mmmm...fresh lingonberries!


1 comment:

  1. I can remember my grandmother (Kevin's great-grandmother referred to in the Gamla Stan blog) frequently fixing pea soup and Swedish pancakes for supper. Naturally, lingonberry was a must!!! My mom often fixed the Swedish pancakes without the soup. Alas, my Swedish pancakes, as well as my lingonberry, now come from IKEA!!! Bättre IKEA än inga svenska pannkakor alls!!

    ReplyDelete